Image by Emily Barney
Green Split Pea Soup
- ham bone, with broth if possible
- 1-2 lb. package green peas
- onion, if desired
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 1-2 stalks of celery
- water to fill crock pot
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spread out peas on the table or in a wide bowl and pick through to make sure there are no lumps of dirt or other undesirables in the mix.
- Place ham bone in the crock pot with any leftover ham broth, pour in peas and add water to fill, along with chopped onion, if desired.
- Turn on crock pot and leave to cook until peas are soft – overnight is good, but you can also usually start this in the morning and come home to a mostly cooked meal.
- Before serving, chop or shred carrots and slice celery, then stir in and cook until those vegetables are done. This should take 20-30 minutes at the most. Adjust seasoning before serving, though you probably won’t need salt because the ham usually provides that flavor.